The Salyers

The Salyers

Friday, April 13, 2012

Sick as a Dog

With Easter coming and going I swear to you I've gained ten pounds in a week.  Why is it that holiday's revolve so much around the consumption of food? Thankfully after our huge Easter meal on Sunday we all got together and played our annual family softball game. 


I haven't ran that much in I can't tell you how long.  Every muscle in my body ached the next day.  Even my ribs and abs.  I never realized how athletic you have to be to play that sport.  I mean, I played soccer in high school and don't ever remember being that sore.  It could have been because I was the goalie and did more standing in the same spot than anything.  Don't be mistaken because being a goalie is a tough position.  You are the last form of defense and when you let a ball hit the net (which I didn't do very often thank. you. very. much) you feel so responsible.  Anywho, I'm getting off track here.  Back to me discussing holiday gluttony. 

Now, it wasn't just myself who gorged ate a few pieces of candy over the weekend.  My sneaky little dogs got pretty sick themselves.  Is it an old wives tale that dogs can die from too much chocolate, because I think mine almost did.  During Easter lunch, egg hunting and the softball game, my dogs were staying at my sisters house.  When we returned there were candy wrappers everywhere, along with multiple piles of doggy vomit.  There is no telling how much candy was consumed.  All I know is that for the next 24 hours they were literally, sick as dogs.  Fortunately the chocolate did not kill my dogs and they are perfectly fine now.  I swear, I'm a good pet owner, we just forgot to set the candy up high enough from their reach.  Whoopsy!

Speaking of being a good pet owner, I recently on Facebook asked for advice about a animal situation going on in my neighborhood.  A few houses down from us we sit and watch this poor dog stay tied to a tree all day long, with no food and water, no dog house, no affection and no room to exercise.  I've been pretty bothered by it so I asked people if they thought I should write an anonymous letter and stick it in their mailbox.  They thought it was a good idea so I jumped into action and wrote what I think is a pretty nice letter but stern enough to get my point across.  Take a peek:



April 12, 2012

To Whom It May Concern:

As a homeowner in this subdivision I am very concerned about the well being of your dog.  Over the last several weeks I have noticed several things about the proper care for your animal.  They are listed below:
1.       He stays wrapped around the tree all day because he is not on a proper lead for him to run and achieve the proper amount of exercise and animal needs to be healthy.
2.       He is without food or water because what small bowls are left out get knocked over.  They are not large enough or heavy enough containers to hold enough food and water for being left out all day.
3.       He is being left all day with no shelter besides the tree he is under.  When inclement weather occurs, such as rain, heat or the cold, he has no dog house or other form of shelter to protect himself.
4.       I have witnessed other neighbors walking over to your property to give him water and untangling him from the tree.  It is not other people’s responsibility in this neighborhood to take care of an animal that is yours.
5.       I am also aware that when someone is at home, your dog is still left outside, unfed and no water is replenished in his bowl.
6.       He is not getting the proper attention from his owners.  In several weeks I have not witnessed any affection given to him.  Animals need love and care, otherwise they are at risk for feeling scared, timid and possibly turning mean.
7.       Because he is outside most the day, he spends most hours barking, which is a noise disturbance to other people.
I have witnessed these things and am truly concerned about his well being.  I think he is a great pet, very friendly and loves people.  All he wants is attention and to be taken care of properly.  Animals are meant to be pets.  I am hoping that by informing you of these things that changes will be made.  If changes aren’t made a copy of this letter will be sent to Animal Control.

Sincerely,
Concerned Neighbor and Fellow Pet Owner


What do you think? I don't think it's harsh but I want them to understand that I will take matters into my own hands if changes aren't made.  I am a pet owner and even though I've never been a huge animal person I do have a heart.  I just can't watch this sweet boxer puppy sitting out there, dying for attention.

I have one itsy bitsy problem though...I am TERRIFIED to go over to their house and stick it in their mailbox.  All day I've been watching to make sure when they are home or aren't home but I'm such a chicken.  My fear is they will come out their front door with a shotgun and shoot me for being on their property.  It's almost like a black ops mission for me.  Maybe I should dress in camouflage, paint my face and wait until dark...No? Ok, ok

No comments:

Post a Comment