The Salyers

The Salyers

Thursday, August 19, 2010

I think I've found a hobby!

After a very long weekend visiting family and realizing that when you are pregnant, life gets kind of boring.  I knew I needed to come home and really start the search for a hobby.  After getting caught up on my sleep, this overwhelming urge came over me to want to cook and bake.  I have really been obsessed with Food Network for about six months now and as I was sitting here watching an episode of Barefoot Contessa, I realized that I wanted to try cooking.  Since getting married I have really learned a lot about food and seasoning and cooking, but I never really enjoyed doing it, until now! I started my cooking journey out with something easy but fresh and delicious.  Let's see it step by step shall we?

Yummy Steak Fajitas

First step is to cut your steak (I prefer to use Sirloin steak rather than the pre-cut meat, it's more tender that way) into long strips and brown it until it's cooked to your prefered temperature.  I prefer Medium to Medium Well.  When the meat is done add your fajita sauce pack.  Next time we are going to try our own sauce because the packs are way too salty.  *Please regard my messy stove top, I usually clean as I go, but Dustin was actually the one browning the meat*



Next, cut your veggies.  You can use whatever suits your fancy, but we chose a Green Bell Pepper, a Red Bell Pepper and an Onion.  Heat some Olive Oil in a skillet and add your veggies with a little salt and pepper.  Cook those until they are still a little crunchy.



While your veggies and meat are still cooking go ahead and chop your sides.  We like lettuce, tomato and cheese.  It can't be a yummy fajita without sides!



Next, mix together your veggies and meat so that your sauce soaks into those veggies.



A good side option for fajitas is some Mexican rice.  You can find it in any grocery store in the Ethnic food or rice isle.  I haven't quite gotten to everything being homemade but I'm working on it!



And for the finished product...



Dinner time! I promise if you make this super easy yet delicious meal your family will love you forever! Stay tuned for dessert.  I should be posting my Apple Fritter recipe soon!

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious! Leah and I are always exploring new cooking ideas. It's a real process, but 9 times out of 10 you can eat the results! I have developed my own super easy Mexican dinner by making quesadillas using frozen grilled chicken strips, a homemade taco seasoning, tortillas and Mexican cheese blend (usually the Sargento kind). We also pair it with the Lipton/Knorr rice kits, probably like you used here. Oddly enough, we like the "Spanish" or "Taco" rice packets over the "Mexican" flavor. Hmmm... I'm hungry now. Great post and great pics! :)

    ReplyDelete